The Manchester Medical Research Student Society and the National Student Association for Medical Research proudly present their Widening Participation Competition 2016/17. This competition aims to stimulate the interest of school pupils in medicine and medical research, and offers the opportunity to explore academic medicine as a career.
Theme: Medical Research in the Future
Question: How will medical research be carried out in the future and what mysteries will we uncover?
Description: Be creative, be bold, be heard. Let your imagination run free and tell us how you think medical research will evolve in 10, 20 or even 100 years and what amazing things will we discover. The more details you give on your predictions and the more original, the more points you score. But be careful not to overlook any obvious scientiOic principles!
What you need to do:
You can submit entries in any of these categories:
- Essay: Write an essay of 500 to 600 words (excluding references).
- Poem: Maximum 40 lines. Entry should be in
- 2D Visual Art: express your ideas on A3 or A2 Any 2D technique will be accepted. In addition to your drawing, you will also need to submit a description of a maximum of 200 words, which explains the ideas, messages and inspiration behind your drawing.
You are only allowed one entry per category. However, you can submit entries in more than one category. Most importantly, be original!
Due Date: 4th December 2016 12:00
Eligibility: You need to be in 6th form (upper or lower) for the academic year 2016/17.
- The top 25 winners will be invited to the NSAMR national undergraduate medical research conference, which will be held on Saturday 11th February 2017 at the University of There, you will have the chance to meet renowned researchers as well as younger, up and coming researchers, and medical students from across the UK. You will also be able to participate in a number of interactive workshops speciOically designed for you. Become a medical researcher for a day and experience what it feels like! (Transport and lunch will be provided.)
- In addition, the top 5 entries will each receive an Amazon voucher of £30.
- Winning entries will also be considered for exhibition during the conference. In the case of an artwork, we may ask you to bring your original
Submission: All submissions are electronic.
- Essays and poems should be emailed as an attachment in the format .pdf or .docx.
- For 2D Visual Artwork, you will need to take a high-‐quality photograph or scan of your drawing and get a high resolution, in focus, and centred image of your artwork. These digital images should be sent in the format .jpg or .jpeg. Please retain your original
Your email must contain your name, school year, category of your entry and entry title (for poems and artworks). Don’t forget to submit your description along with your visual artwork.
Please write down ‘WP Competition 2016/17’ as the email subject. Email your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Organisers: This competition is being organised by the Manchester Medical Research Student Society (MMRSSoc) in partnership with the National Student Association for Medical Research (NSAMR).
MMRSSoc will be hosting the 5th NSAMR national conference in February 2017 in collaboration with NSAMR. For more information on MMRSSoc or NSAMR, please visit the following websites: